Friday, April 4, 2008

Delicious Friday filler

That's right, I don't really have anything to talk about here. I just wanted to close the week with one final pointless use of the word "delicious" before I begin to annoy and exhaust even myself.

So, um... welp... tap tap tap... Oh! I know. How about a preview of what I've got coming up over at Teleport City? The next review I'll be posting will be of Nobuhiko Obayashi's 1977 Hausu, a film which comes about as close to melding the sensibilities of Dario Argento and Syd & Marty Krofft as you're ever likely to see. This one is a favorite of mine and highly recommended. After that I'll be doing an overview of the Dark Heroine Muk Lan-fa movies, a trio of 1960s Cantonese language "Jane Bond" films that are ripe for wider cult appreciation, due in no small part to the totally badass mean girl persona of their star, Suet Nei.

Of course, those reviews are ones that have already appeared on my site The Lucha Diaries, though I have revised and tarted both of them up for their Teleport City debut (my review of Hausu, for instance, seemed like a good place to launch into a brief tirade about how crap contemporary Japanese horror films are, apropos of my recently being bored to the point of weeping by Nightmare Detective). Upcoming exclusive reviews for TC will include my first forays into writing about Turkish pulp cinema, including a review of Iron Claw The Pirate, which was recently released on DVD by the wonderful Onar Films, and then, sometime after that, Yilmaz Atadeniz's Casus Kiran aka Turkish Spy Smasher.

From there I'll be returning to familiar territory with a review of the Bollywood film Toofan, an eighties film starring Amitabh Bachchan as a crossbow touting superhero. The film is an artifact of what was a sort of strange "lost" period for the Big B, when he was getting a little too long-in-the-tooth for those "angry young man" roles he became famous for and started branching out into some pretty strange territory. Finally, somewhere along the line I'll be getting around to reviewing Hanuman vs the Seven Ultramen (aka The 6 Ultra Brothers vs. the Monster Army), a 1970s Thai/Japanese coproduction that pairs Ultraman and his Ultra Brothers with the Hindu monkey god Hanuman.

All of these reviews will of course appear alternately with those written by Teleport City overlord Keith Allison, in which Keith will no doubt continue his current obsessions with guys in skeleton suits and German Krimi films. So, in short, lots of good times ahead. Now eat your peas!

1 comment:

Beth Loves Bollywood said...

Peas are my mortal enemy. They're gross. Guys in skeleton suits too, now that you mention it.